Health and safety enforcement
We aim to ensure that workplaces are safe for employees and visitors to them and that accidents are prevented wherever possible. We:
- inspect places of work to ensure compliance with health and safety law, in accordance with government priorities
- use educational techniques as well as legal means to achieve compliance
- investigate accidents to employees or others which occur in workplaces
- investigate complaints about health, safety or welfare in work premises
- work with planning and building control officers to advise on the health and safety implications of new developments
- give advice to customers and all stakeholders on health and safety issues
- work with other health professionals locally and nationally.
What you can expect
- carry out regular and usually unannounced inspections of workplaces
- investigate relevant workplace accidents
- respond to complaints about health and safety in workplaces
- respond to requests for advice or information about health and safety
- respond to letters or emails about health and safety issues
- keep you fully informed of the progress made with your enquiry or complaint.
Help us to help you
Should you wish to make a complaint about health, safety or welfare conditions in the workplace, please contact us using the details below. Please have the full details of the premises ready when you contact us.
Some workplaces will be the responsibility of the Health and Safety Executive rather than the Council, depending on the nature of the work carried out. We can advise you of the relevant 'enforcing authority' when you contact us.
If you make a complaint about a workplace, we will require your name, address and contact details so that we can keep you informed of our progress. This information is kept confidential.