Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Accidents at work

Employers, the self-employed and those in charge of the premises are legally required to report some work-related accidents, diseases and dangerous incidents to the relevant authority.

These regulations apply to all work activities but not to all incidents. The law requires the following work-related incidents to be reported:

  • deaths

  • major injuries

  • accidents resulting in injuries lasting more than three days 

  • work-related diseases

  • dangerous occurrences – where something happens that doesn't result in a reportable injury but which could have done.

If the incident involves a death or a major injury you must report the matter immediately by the quickest possible way (email, telephone or fax).

All accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences should be reported to the Incident Contact Centre - the single point of contact for receiving all incidents in the UK.

The Incident Contact Centre will forward details of incidents to the relevant enforcing authority, which may be either the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) or the Council’s Health and Safety Team.

You can also report incidents by:

  • telephone on 0845 300 9923

  • completing the relevant hard copy form and sending it by fax to 0845 300 9924, or by post to Incident Contact Centre, Caerphilly Business Park, Caerphilly, CF83 3GG.

What happens next

There may be the need for us to investigate the cause of the accident further in order to prevent similar accidents occurring in the future.

Frequently asked questions

Why should I report accidents at work?

Reporting accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement. The information enables us to identify where and how risks arise, as well as to investigate serious accidents. We can then help and advise you on how to prevent and reduce injury, ill health and accidental loss - much of which is uninsurable.

Do the regulations affect me?

If you are an employer, are self-employed or are in charge of work premises, you will have responsibility according to the regulations.

I'm self-employed. What do I need to do?

If you are working in someone else's premises and suffer an injury (which means you cannot do your normal work for more than seven days), then they will be responsible for reporting the incident. So it will be up to you to make sure they know about it.

You need to report an incident if:

  • you or a member of the public is injured while you are working on your own premises

  • there is a dangerous occurrence on your premises

  • a doctor tells you have a work-related disease or condition.

However, as a self-employed person, you don't need to notify the authorities immediately if you suffer a major injury on your own premises. Either you or someone acting for you should report it within 10 days.

Should I keep records?

You must keep a record of any reportable injury, disease or dangerous incidents. This must include:

  • the date and method of reporting

  • the date, time and place of the event

  • personal details of those involved

  • a brief description of the nature of the event or disease.

You can keep the record in any form you wish.


Health and Safety Enforcement