Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Financial support

See what benefits are available for families of children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

You may be entitled to benefits and allowances if members of your family are either

  • on low income
  • out of work
  • disabled

Benefits for people with disabilities

  • disability living allowance
  • personal independence payment

If you are a carer and have substantial caring needs, you could be eligible for carers’ allowance.

Disability living allowance (DLA)

DLA is an allowance available to children under the age of 16 who have:

  • difficulties with their mobility and walking
  • needs that require a higher level of support than a child of the same age who doesn't have a disability

There are two components to the allowance: the care component and mobility component. Your child may be eligible for one or both components depending on their individual needs. DLA is not means tested.

Apply for DLA.

Personal independence payment (PIP)

You can get PIP if you:

  • are aged 16 to 64
  • need additional help due to an illness, disability or a mental health condition

PIP is based on how your disability impacts your day-to-day life.

Apply for PIP.

Carer's allowance

If you provide substantial and regular care to a disabled child or adult, you can apply for a carer’s allowance.

You do not need to live with or be related to the person you care for to be eligible, but you must:

  • be over 16
  • spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them

This allowance is taxable and can affect other benefits you are claiming.

Apply for a carer’s allowance.

Benefits for people on a low income

If you’re currently in some form of employment, you may be eligible for universal credit, which has replaced previous in-work benefits such as working tax credits, child tax credits and income support.