Bringing the Bakerloo line to Lewisham and beyond
Transport for London (TfL) has set out plans to extend the Bakerloo line.
The extension would go from Elephant and Castle through to Lewisham via New Cross Gate, and all the way to Hayes.
It would transform the lives of thousands of people who live and work throughout the borough.
What the Bakerloo line extension would mean for you
The Bakerloo line extension would bring undeniable benefits to the borough of Lewisham. These include:
- better connectivity to the London Underground from New Cross Gate, Lewisham, Ladywell, Catford and Lower Sydenham
- more frequent services, with trains running every 2–3 minutes straight to the heart of central London, reducing your journey time by up to 15 minutes
- new interchanges at Lewisham and New Cross Gate
- thousands more homes and jobs, including affordable homes
How you can help to get it built
You can show your support and help get the line built.
TfL public consultation
TfL’s third round of consultation is open until 22 December.
You can give your views on the most detailed proposals yet for the extension.
The proposals include:
- the alignment of the tunnel under the Old Kent Road in Southwark to New Cross Gate and Lewisham
- new station names and locations of TfL’s preferred worksites
- a possible further extension to Hayes, which would support growth and regeneration in Catford and Lower Sydenham
Give your views online
You can fill in the online survey. The survey asks whether you support the further extension beyond Lewisham to Ladywell, Catford and Lower Sydenham.
Go to a public information day
You can speak to TfL staff to find out more about the proposals at public information days to be held at 11 different locations along the proposed route. The Lewisham-based events include the following locations:
- Monday 18 November 2019, 3–8pm: Goldsmiths, University of London, The Refectory (ground floor of the Richard Hoggart building), 8 Lewisham Way, New Cross SE14 6NW
- Sunday 24 November 2019, 10am–4pm: Catford Food Market, Unit 23–24, Catford Shopping Centre SE6 4JU
- Wednesday 4 December 2019, 10am–4pm: New Cross Learning, 283–285 New Cross Road SE14 6AS
- Thursday 5 December 2019, 12 noon–6pm: Catford Cornucopia, Unit 23–24, Catford Shopping Centre SE6 4JU
If you’ve already signed the petition
If you have already signed the Back the Bakerloo petition, you can also help by responding to TfL’s consultation.
The petition shows your support. But the consultation lets you:
- have your say on a further extension beyond Lewisham to Hayes
- give your views on other specific aspects of the design of the line.
Online petition to Back the Bakerloo
The Bakerloo line extension is not yet a done deal.
Working together with Southwark Council, we are campaigning for the funding and powers to get the Bakerloo line extension built. We need your support to help make it happen.
So far, the Back the Bakerloo campaign’s petition has reached 20,000 supporters.
Joint letter to the prime minister
We also coordinated a joint letter with Southwark Council, sent on behalf of a cross-London coalition of council leaders, MPs and business groups.
The letter called on the prime minister to get behind the project and ‘Back the Bakerloo’.
Information for developers
Find out about development opportunities in the borough along the proposed Bakerloo line route in our Direction of Travel Document.