Closing roads to traffic at school drop off and pick up time (school streets)
The School Street programme is a scheme to close roads outside schools, to favour pedestrians and cyclists at school start and finish times.
Lewisham is in National lockdown: Stay at home restrictions
The aim of the scheme is to:
- tackle congestion
- improve air quality at the school gates
- make it easier and safer to walk and cycle to school
- create a friendlier and calmer environment for everyone.
How the School Streets scheme works
- The street directly outside a school will be closed for a short time when children are arriving in the morning and leaving in the afternoon.
- The street will become a pedestrian and cycle zone at these set times.
- Motorised vehicles will not be allowed to enter the street between these times unless they have been granted an exemption. Exemptions will be kept to an absolute minimum to improve road safety for everyone in the vicinity of the school gates.
- We will work closely with schools to determine where the road closure starts and ends (the entire street may not necessarily need to be closed).
- Residents and businesses will be kept informed by letter and given the opportunity to make comments and give feedback on the scheme.