Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Building control approval

If you intend to build a new property or make changes to an existing property, you may need to apply for building control approval. This is completely separate to planning approval/permission.

Building control approval means that your plans have been checked for construction and structural safety by a professional. Our inspectors will make visits to your site to ensure that your build complies with building regulations, fire safety, energy conservation and access.

Submit a building notice

Submit this for works to an existing property, such as a loft conversion, new roof, replacement windows, garage, drainage and electrical works.

Full plans application

Submit full plans for all commercial building work, all new buildings and extensions to existing properties.

If work has been done without approval (regularisation)

We have to ensure that all building work in the borough complies with building regulations and we can ask you to alter or remove it.

There is a fee payable to Lewisham Council when you submit an application. View our fees chart and guidance.

What happens next

A building control officer will inspect the work as it progresses to make sure that your building project complies with building regulations, fire safety and health and safety.

If your full plans application is rejected, we will give you the reasons. We will ask you to make amendments or provide more details, and will do our best to help you make a successful re-application.


If you are a leaseholder you will need to seek the freeholders permission before any building work is undertaken.

Lewisham Homes tenants should contact their leasehold department at hos@lewishamhomes.org.uk or call 0800 028 2028.


Following a change in government legislation, certain contractors can now certify their own work as compliant with building regulations. If you are using a properly registered contractor, you do not need to contact Building Control.

Contractors must be fully and properly registered with one of the various schemes in order to install such items as boilers, replacement windows and electrical wiring.

Find out more information about competent person schemes.

Party Wall Act 1996

If you are doing building work that might affect a neighbouring property, please visit the Party Wall Matters page for more information.

Although this Act may apply to your work, it is a civil matter and Lewisham Building Control are not involved in its administration.


Building Control

Fourth Floor, Laurence House, 1 Catford Road, London, SE6 4RU