Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Paying for major works

Information about major works and how to pay for them

We are responsible for the maintenance of the communal and structural parts of the building and communal areas (shared areas) of estates such as roads, communal gardens and parking areas.

The upkeep and repair of these areas is our responsibility as the freeholder.

The cost of maintaining a building varies according to its age and structure. From time to time it will be necessary for us to undertake items of major works to improve or repair the communal and structural parts of the building. These will usually be one-off works.

If the cost of the repair or improvement is likely to result in a service charge bill of more than £250, then it is referred to as a major work. We also use the term ‘major works’ to include external decorations and associated repairs.

Major works can include

  • fitting fire safety doors
  • renewing windows
  • renewing roofs
  • doing structural work
  • redecorating shared areas such as hallways and on the outside of your building
  • improving shared area in sheltered housing for older residents
  • creating new homes from disused buildings

Who to contact

During the consultation period, we will give you the name of one of our officers to contact about any issues or concerns you may have.

You can find information about major works which are in progress on the My Lewisham Homes portal. If you’re having work done to your building or estate at the moment, you can find contact details for the contractor and our staff on the contact sheet given to you before work started.

Please report day to day repairs which may be needed to your home, such as work needed to fix your windows, on My Lewisham Homes.

What should I expect when works are carried out to my home?

Improvements in your home can require short-term disruption, so it is essential to know what to expect from us, how you can prepare for the work and what will happen. We have prepared a set of guides so you can learn more about what to expect with different kinds of work to your home.

Leaseholder consultation

We are committed to consulting with our residents, including leaseholders at all stages of a major works project.

As a leaseholder, if you have concerns about the work, you should raise these as soon as possible so we can deal with them. Do not wait until you receive your bill. It is much easier to sort out disputes with contractors when they are still on-site.

The type of consultation will depend on the works that we plan to do. For example, if we are planning a lot of work with major changes then we will organise meetings and give more information to residents than if we are carrying out regular external decorations to your building.

Where work is going to cost more than £250 per leasehold flat, you have to be consulted about the work before the work begins in accordance with Section 151 of the Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

You will receive a Notice of Intention outlining the works that we intend to carry out.

You can respond to this notice within 30 days, with your comments on the scope of the intended work and in some circumstances you will have the right to nominate a contractor.

Following this, if we still intend to carry out the work, a further notification will be sent containing details of the estimated costs.

You will then have a further 30 days to give us your comments. We will look carefully at your comments and will have regard to them. You cannot refuse permission for the works to go ahead. We have responsibility under the lease to repair and maintain the building and common parts of the estate.

Paying for major works

If you have a question that is not covered here, please contact us and we can talk through any concerns that you may have regarding payment of major works charges.

When should I pay my major works charge?

Payment is due within 21 days of the invoice date. If full payment is not made within 21 days, then you must complete the online payment options form.

  • if your bill is below £3,000, you can pay in up to 24 monthly instalments
  • if your bill is over £3,000, you can pay in up to 36 monthly instalments
  • if your bill is over £10,000, you can pay in up to 60 monthly instalments

Direct debit

To set up a direct debit, you will need to agree on a monthly repayment plan with us and then complete the online major works direct debit form.

Standing order

You can ask your bank to pay the service charge by standing order, usually on a monthly basis. If you set up a bank standing order with your bank, we still require you to complete and return a payment options form and return it to Home Ownership Services so that we can update our system. Please quote your 10 digit major works account number when paying by this method.

Credit or debit card

Call our 24 hour automated card payment service on 020 8690 8707, or email Home Ownership Services. You will need your 10 digit major works account number. If you use a credit card to make your payment a surcharge will be added to the amount you pay.

Payments can be made online using a credit or debit card. If you use a credit card to make your payment, a surcharge will be added to the amount you pay. There is no surcharge for debit card payments.

Plastic card

Apply for a major works payment card. This can be used at any Post Office. You can also use the card to pay by cash at a Pay Point outlet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything