Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Dealing with noisy neighbours

Find out what you can do about noise from neighbours, and how we can help.

Ordinary living noise

We don't deal with ordinary domestic noise in residential properties. This includes noise from properties having poor sound insulation.

If you working from home and experience noise from DIY or renovation noise during controlled hours (Monday to Friday-8am to 6pm and Saturday 8am to 1pm, excluding bank and public holidays) we advise to politely speak with your neighbour to explain the impact of the noise. Alternatively, if a face-to-face conversation is not an option then consider posting a polite letter or note. We cannot investigate noise from DIY or construction during the controlled hours.

Examples of ordinary living noise

We don't deal with:

  • talking

  • walking

  • use of showers or toilets

  • babies crying

  • closing doors. 

We have to make a decision based on what the average reasonable person would find unacceptable and what can legally be defined as a statutory nuisance

What you can do

You will often be able to resolve problems with your neighbours by talking to them. 

Involving us without talking to your neighbour first can often make the situation worse. 

Often people don't know they are causing a problem. Most will be glad to take action to reduce the disturbance.

Approach the matter carefully if you think your neighbour might react aggressively to a complaint.

How to talk to your neighbour about noise problems

  1. Approach them after the disturbance has stopped. You're both more likely to be able to discuss the issue calmly and clearly if you do this.
  2. Politely explain that they are disturbing you and what effect this is having on your life e.g. you can't sleep.
  3. If you are not confident enough to approach your neighbour directly you could ask a friend or family member to do this on your behalf, or you could write to your neighbour.

If you live in rented property

When to report noise problems to us

Report noise problems to us only if:

  • you've tried to resolve the issue with your neighbour and
  • the noise issue can be defined as a statutory nuisance.