Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Council tax appeals

Find out how to appeal your council tax.

When you can appeal

You can appeal against your council tax if you don't think you should be liable, or if you think your home is in the wrong valuation band.

Liability appeals

You have the right to appeal if:

  • you think you shouldn't be liable for council tax
  • you've been refused a discount or exemption that you think you're entitled to.

Before you appeal, you should write to us first at the address at the bottom of the page.

If you can't resolve your dispute directly with us, you should write to:

Valuation Tribunal Service
2nd floor, 120 Leman Street
London E1 8EU

You must continue to pay the council tax charge until the outcome of the appeal.

Valuation appeals

If you think your home is in the wrong band, you have six months from the date you become liable to appeal. You should write to: 

The Listing Officer
Council Tax South
Valuation Office Agency
1 Ruskin Square
Dingwall Road
Croydon CR0 2WF

You must continue to pay the council tax charge based on your current banding until the outcome of the appeal.


You may also be interested in ...

Council tax reductions

Apply for Council tax reductions.

Council tax service standards

See what you can expect from the council tax service and what you can do if we do not deliver the standard of service we have agreed to provide.