Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Childcare help for students

Find out what you are entitled to.

Discretionary learner support​

If you’re aged 19 or over, on a further education course and facing financial hardship, you could get discretionary learner support (DLS).

You apply to your learning provider (e.g. your college) for DLS. How much you get depends on your circumstances.

The money can help pay for things like:

  • accommodation and travel

  • course materials and equipment

  • childcare - if you qualify.

Care to Learn

If you’re under 20 and have one or more children, Care to Learn can help you with your childcare and travel costs while you’re learning or undertaking training. Under this scheme you may be entitled to claim up to £175 a week for any childcare that is Ofsted registered.

To find out if you qualify contact the support helpline on 0800 121 8989.

Childcare grant

If you’re in full-time higher education you can apply for a childcare grant to pay for childcare costs for children under 15, or under 17 if they have special needs.