Why you should work for us
Lewisham today is a successful and cosmopolitan part of London occupied by energetic, creative and diverse local communities.
People here benefit from attractive residential neighbourhoods, great local schools and a huge number of parks and green spaces.
Our transport links
We have excellent transport connections to the rest of London and the wider region, with Canary Wharf, the City, London City Airport and the new international rail terminal at Stratford all within easy reach of the borough. The London Overground is now connecting more of Lewisham with central London and the rail and tube network.
Regeneration and development
We currently have exciting developments taking place in our town centres and neighbourhoods, bringing new housing, new schools and new leisure facilities.
At the council we are working with the community and our partners to make Lewisham the best place in London to live, work and learn.
We are shaping a place that is:
- a home in London – an affordable place to live that is well connected to central London, and the jobs, business and leisure opportunities this offers, that is also a thriving, supportive community in its own right
- an active Lewisham – where people take steps to improve their own health and wellbeing
- a borough that backs its young people – ensuring there are quality learning and development opportunities so that young people can fulfil their potential.
With ever decreasing resources we are doing everything we can to protect the things people value most, making sure the services we provide are the best they can be and working every penny of taxpayers money as hard as we can.
Our employees are put on the Local Government Pension Scheme. This is a career average salary scheme, so your pension benefits are guaranteed and do not depend on how investments perform.
We pay into the fund on your behalf and you will be covered for a range of benefits.
Loans and discounts
- interest-free employee loans: employees can take advantage of interest-free season tickets and bike loans
- a tax-free scheme for childcare: Parents of children aged under 12 and parents of disabled children aged under 17 (on 31 August 2017) are eligible for the scheme. The scheme allows some working parents (where both parents are working or are single parents) to claim up to £2,000 per child towards the cost of childcare per year
- significant discounts at selected local restaurants, cafes and shops through our 'shop local' scheme
- free access to KAARP, a company that provides discounts and offers across the UK
- access to CSSC: for less than £4 per month, you can enjoy offers and discounted prices at many major high street retail stores, restaurants, theme parks, and leisure facilities. Membership also includes free entrance to English Heritage sites, free cinema tickets and discounts on various sporting activities
- access to Crownsavers Credit Union
- discounted membership of Downham Health & Leisure Centre
- free cycle lessons, and cycle maintenance courses at a subsidised rate
- free swimming between 12 noon and 2pm on weekdays
Other employee benefits
- an annual holiday entitlement of 27 days, rising to 32 days after 5 years' service, and 35 days after 10 years’ service, plus bank holidays
- family-friendly policies including generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave, plus special leave to deal with family emergencies
- access to keyworker housing
- employee assistance programme
- access to Benenden health insurance scheme
We positively encourage flexible working and work life balance aimed at supporting individual employee requirements within the context of meeting service delivery needs.
A number of schemes are in place including flexitime, part time work, term time work, home-working and job sharing. As part of our wider digital transformation programme, we are developing our IT and estate to support agile/smarter working.
- generous annual leave from 27 days to 35 days (depending on length of service) - this is in addition to statutory and public holidays
- annual leave for part time and job share employees calculated on a pro rata basis according to the hours worked
Family friendly policies
We offer staff:
excellent maternity benefits with up to 26 weeks' paid leave after one year in post and up to one year’s leave after the birth of the child
10 days' paid paternity leave
Employees are also able to take special leave to deal with family emergencies.
Get together, network, share ideas and support.
Climate Emergency Staff Forum (CESF)
- have your say on measures arising from the Climate Emergency Action Plan
- share ideas for environmental actions
- keep up to date with climate action progress
BAME Professional Network
- keep up to date with local and national policy
- benefit from a range of services
- give something back to local communities
Disabled Staff Forum
- exchange information
- discuss key organisational issues
- become part of a support network
LGBTQ+ staff forum
- help promote LGBTQ+ equality in the workplace
- share ideas and best practice
- support each other
- benefit from contacts and a confidential space
Respect and fair treatment
Employees will be respected as individuals in the workplace regardless of their:
This includes acknowledging achievements and performance in a culture of openness and trust where employees needs and views are taken seriously.
Salary scaled 2023-24