Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Request access to the information we hold about you

Use the form below to find out what personal data we hold about you.

Data protection legislation places obligations on people or organisations who record and use personal data (data controllers). Data controllers must be open about the use of such personal data through data protection principles.

Your rights

The legislation governs how we collect, store, process and distribute personal data. It gives rights to people whose information we record.

This applies to all individuals, including council employees, elected members and members of the public. Everyone has the right to:

  • access their personal data
  • prevent data processing that is likely to cause damage or distress
  • prevent processing for the purposes of direct marketing.

You also have the right to:

  • ask us to correct your personal data if it is inaccurate
  • ask us to delete your personal data (in some circumstances we can legally reject your request)
  • withdraw consent you have previously given for us to process your data
  • ask us to restrict processing your data in certain circumstances
  • object to us processing your data in certain circumstances
  • complain to us and to the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Read our terms and conditions to find out more about how we process your data.

How to request access to your personal information

It is Council policy not to respond to Data Protection Act 2018 information rights requests (including subject access requests) via third-party websites.

Requests to update records to reflect a change of address will not be considered a Right to Rectification request, but a standard request to update records due to circumstances changing.

Contact us to change your address.

Subject to certain exemptions, you have the right to:

  • know if we hold any information about you (i.e. personal data)
  • be given a copy of, or access in person to, that information within one month (or up to 3 months for complex or multiple requests)

There may be times when it may take us longer to respond to your subject access request. If this is the case, we will write to let you know when you will receive a response.

To request access to the data that we hold about you, download and complete the form below and return it to us by email or post, using the contact details below. You can submit your request in person, but you have to make an appointment.

Using an agent

An agent (such as a parent, carer, solicitor or other representative) can request information on behalf of children, young people or adults. If the ‘data subject’ (the person whose data is being requested), is 12-years-old or older, they must give consent for the agent to request their data, unless this is not possible.

In some cases we require the agent and data subject to come to an interview to assess the validity of a claim for personal data and to verify the consent of the data subject.

Proof of identity

We need to be satisfied that you are who you say you are. You need to provide two forms of evidence of your identity: photo ID and proof address. If you are acting as an agent, you and the data subject both need to give us this evidence.

We accept:

  • passport
  • birth certificate
  • driver’s licence
  • identity card
  • utility bills
  • bank statements.


Useful websites


Subject Access Request

Laurence House, 1 Catford Road, SE6 4RU.