Catford Town Centre Framework
The Council is leading a major regeneration which will transform the town centre by
- re-routing the south circular road, which will create generous areas of new, pedestrian-friendly, public space with trees and planting and new community facilities
- making the heart of Catford town centre largely car-free, helping to improve air quality and road safety
- redeveloping the Catford Shopping Centre for new retail space, while maintaining the town centre’s current range of diverse and independent shops
- replacing Milford Towers
- creating segregated cycle lanes, on-street cycle parking and wider pavements to enable walking and cycling
- creating a new pedestrianised approach for Catford Bridge Station
- creating a new civic hub and a cluster of affordable creative and cultural workspaces which will secure more day to evening footfall
- improving resident’s access to the River Ravensbourne
- providing new homes across the town centre. Building new, affordable homes is also an important part of the Framework Plan and up to 2,700 homes will be built in total over the next couple of decades. Half of these homes are set to be affordable, with almost 1,000 new social homes.
Our aim to make Catford the greenest town centre in London
Generous areas of public space will be created with new trees, planting and riverside access to the River Ravensbourne. During the public consultation on the plans for Catford, local residents asked for:
- natural planting
- for local biodiversity to be respected
- genuine improvements to the river allowing access to the water’s edge.
A green toolkit will underpin regeneration and developers will be made to meet our vision for a Greener Lewisham, helping to meet our pledge to be carbon neutral by 2030, ahead of the national Government.
The Catford Town Centre Framework is a long-term vision to guide development in the town centre over the next couple of decades. It will create an accessible and welcoming place for everyone. Over the last four years, the Framework Plan has been shaped by over 3,000 comments from local residents. The Framework Plan will guide the development of new homes, shops and improvements to public space over the next 10-15 years.
Read the Catford Town Centre Framework Plan in full.