Catford Town Centre Framework
We want your help with improving our website so it is easier to use, and provides the information that residents need. Help us by filling in this short survey.
The Catford Town Centre Framework sets out our vision for the future of Catford. Shaped by four years of consultation and over 3,000 comments and ideas from local residents, the Framework Plan will guide the development of new homes, shops and improvements to public space over the coming decades.
The Framework Plan seeks to transform the town centre and support the local community by:
- Providing new homes across the town centre, including affordable homes for local residents. Up to 2,700 homes will be built in total over the next couple of decades. Half of these homes are set to be affordable, including almost 1,000 new social homes for families on our housing waiting list, helping to tackle the housing crisis.
- Re-routing the south circular road, which will create generous areas of new, pedestrian-friendly, public space with trees, planting and new community facilities.
- Making the heart of Catford town centre largely car-free, helping to improve air quality and road safety
- Redeveloping the Catford Shopping Centre for new retail space, while maintaining the town centre’s current range of diverse and independent shops.
- Creating segregated cycle lanes, secure cycle parking and wider pavements to enable more walking and cycling with a new pedestrianised approach for Catford Bridge Station.
- Creating a new civic hub and a cluster of affordable creative and cultural workspaces which will secure more day to evening footfall.
A green town centre
Our aim is to make Catford the greenest town centre in London. Generous areas of public space will be created with new trees, planting and riverside access to the River Ravensbourne, reflecting local residents' ambitions for more natural planting and improvements to river access.
A green toolkit will underpin development in Catford and private developers will be required to meet our vision for a Greener Lewisham, helping to achieve our target of making Lewisham carbon neutral by 2030.
New homes for Catford
Our vision for Catford aims to deliver 2,700 new homes across the town centre over the coming decades, including nearly 1,000 new social homes for families on our housing waiting list, helping to tackle the housing crisis.
The delivery of new homes will bring significant benefits for the local community, including more opportunities for local shops and businesses, new areas of public space and improvements to enable walking and cycling.
These homes will require new school places, health facilities, transport connections and new employment space, so that people have the opportunity to live and work in Catford.