What does Lewisham Trading Standards do?
- We inspect trade and business premises to make sure they comply with laws about quality, quantity, fair trading, safety and price.
- We advise local traders and businesses. Consumers who would like advice over the telephone about their consumer rights can contact us via the Citizens Advice consumer helpline.
- If a trader or business has breached consumer protection legislation, we will take the appropriate action.
- We work with our partners to help residents avoid becoming victims of scams.
- We work with our partners to tell consumers about their legal rights.
What Trading Standards has the power to do
- We have the power to enter and inspect premises of traders and businesses, inspect goods, make purchases and take samples.
- We may seize and detain items we feel may break the law or may be needed as evidence. We will explain what we are doing and why and generally exercise our powers in a sensitive manner.
- In Trading Standards we have no power to close businesses down or to force a trader to refund money or exchange goods.
- If we find a trader or business to be breaking consumer protection law we can take enforcement action against them through the Civil or Criminal Courts.
To view our enforcement policy please see below.
What Trading Standards doesn't have the power to do
We do not have the power to:
- force a trader or business to refund money or exchange goods
- close down a trader or business
- make a trader or business apologise for poor customer service or rudeness.
Food safety, hygiene and quality
Our Food Safety Team deals with food safety, hygiene and quality.