Cycle loan scheme
Thousands of Londoners have started cycling through Try Before You Bike. It is a great way to get into cycling if you are not ready to go out and buy a new bike yet.
How does it work?
Try Before You Bike is a scheme that allows anyone who lives, works or studies in Lewisham to try out a new or nearly-new bike for a monthly fee. You can return your bike any time after one month and there is no deposit, interest or cancellation fees.
You then have the option of purchasing your bike, with the hire fees deducted from the price. You can pay the remaining balance through an interest-free payment plan or by using the Cycle to Work scheme.
What bikes are available?
There are a range of bikes that can be borrowed, including children's bikes, adult bikes, folding bikes, electric bikes and electric cargo bikes.
Adaptive bikes are also available through the scheme. To discuss your needs and find out more about the options available to you, contact email@example.com.
How much does it cost?
The cost of borrowing a bike depends on the type of bike you want to try out.
Monthly prices start from:
- children’s bikes from £10
- standard adult bikes from £30
- folding bikes from £30
- adult electric bikes from £75
- electric cargo bikes from £200
How do I collect the bike?
The bike can be delivered to and collected from any London borough. You must live, work or study in Lewisham to be eligible to take part in the scheme.
The bikes are delivered by a cycle expert who will help to get you started.
All bikes come with lights, locks and a helmet. Other accessories, such as pannier bags and baskets, are available.
If you are a beginner and require more training you can get free cycle skills sessions through the Council’s cycle training program*, details of which will be provided when you order your bike.
Do I need insurance?
Insurance against theft and damage is included in the cost.
Try Before You Bike
Try Before You Bike is a user friendly scheme that is specifically designed to encourage people to cycle:
- pay monthly for a bike (including hybrid, folding bikes, e-bikes, e-cargo bikes and adaptive bikes) with an easy to order process
- free friendly delivery to your door with accessories (helmet, lights and lock), guidance and a bespoke training session of up to 2 hours
- no deposit or hidden fees
- affordable purchase options and Cycle To Work available
- free collection if you decide the bike is not for you
- support and encouragement given to help you get confident on the roads
Sign up with Peddle My Wheels who run the programme on the Council's behalf.