Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Religious ceremony weddings

To book a marriage at a place of worship, first contact us.

We will advise you if you can marry in the venue you have chosen. You should then contact the minister at the place of worship.

If the building is registered for marriage ceremonies, the service will be conducted by the minister (or authorised person) of the venue, but occasionally a registrar will be needed to complete the legal record of the marriage.

If you want to marry in an Anglican church, you should first contact the vicar or parish priest. EU nationals do not usually need to give notice to the Register Office of your intention to marry.

The notice period is 28 days or 70 days subject to immigration status.

Couples where either one or both are subject to immigration control may have their notice period extended to 70 days.

It is therefore very important to allow plenty of time to complete the legal preliminaries before the ceremony is due to take place.

If you would like to licence a place of worship for marriage ceremonies, please contact us on 020 8690 2128.


Register Office

368 Lewisham High Street, Lewisham, London, SE13 6LQ.