Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Council tax support

You may be eligible for support to pay your council tax, or free advice on debt arrears.

We want to help residents keep up to date with their council tax payments.

If you're having trouble paying your council tax, talk to us. We can help sign post you on how to find out if you are eligible for benefits or apply for reductions.

Support with payments

If you're on a low income you may be entitled to support to help you pay your council tax.

To see if you are eligible we will look at your income, savings and household circumstances. You must be the person responsible for paying the council tax to apply for this benefit.

If you're single but share your home with another adult who is on a low income and does not pay rent, you may be able to claim a second adult rebate as part of your application. 

If the above applies to you, you can apply online for council tax support.

You can also check what other reductions you might be eligible for on our council tax reductions page.

Help with debt and managing money

We realise that some people may have difficulty in paying their bills and require support from us or an advice agency.

If you're having trouble managing your money or are struggling with debt, you should get help as soon as possible. You can also get free, confidential and impartial advice by visiting:

  • Advice Lewisham can be reached on 0800 231 5453 for enquiries about benefits, housing, debt, employment, immigration, family & consumer issues
  • you can also speak to the independent organisation Money Helper online or call 0800 138 7777 for free, confidential advice
  • use the online worrying about money form, and see what support is available for you locally in Lewisham

You can also visit our Cost of Living page for more advice and support.

Contact us

Council tax

Opening hours:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9am–3pm