Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Get a one-off payment if you are struggling due to COVID-19

You may be able to get a one-off payment to help you buy essential food and fuel.
Lewisham is in National lockdown: Stay at home restrictions

Find out about the COVID-19 restrictions.

There is an emergency payment for those eligible for Universal Credit who are facing further immediate, financial hardship due to COVID-19 and have no other assistance available. If you have no income as a result of losing your job or ability to work, you may qualify for a one-off payment.

The payment is a grant so it does not need to be paid back. It does not replace any other form of support from the Government.

Applications made after 5pm on 21st December 2020 will not be processed until the week commencing 4 January 2021.

Can I apply for the grant?

To apply for the grant you must:

  • not have an earned income
  • have savings of less than £6,000
  • be a permanent Lewisham resident
  • be liable to pay rent, bills, a mortgage or council tax
  • claim or have made an application for Universal Credit.

There may be a delay in Universal Credit being awarded. You can claim for immediate support if your initial payment from Universal Credit is delayed.

How much will I receive?

The grant will be a fixed amount based on:

  • the number of people in your household and their ages
  • set amounts of money that the Government suggest you need to live on.

How do I apply?

Fill out our online application form. You will need to provide:

  • a contact number
  • an email address

If you disagree with our decision, you may ask for it to be reviewed. Any decision following a review is final and you have no appeal rights.

You need to log in to your My Lewisham account before you apply. Log in or register for a My Lewisham account. 

What other help is available?

Universal Credit advance payments

You can apply for an advance payment if you have claimed Universal Credit and

  • you are waiting for your first payment or
  • you have had a change that will increase your payments.

Apply for an advance payment on the Government's website.

Loans to help you buy household items

If you are in receipt of JSA, Income Support or ESA you can apply for a Budgeting Loan on the Government's website.

If you have made a claim for Universal Credit you can apply for a Budgeting Advance on the Government's website.