Garden waste collections
If you're a Lewisham resident anywhere in the borough, you can opt in to our garden waste disposal subscription. The service costs £93.50 a year (about £1.79 per week).
The subscription period runs from 1 April to 31 March. To avoid missed collections you should subscribe before April as renewal opens in February. If you miss it, you can subscribe any time in the year.
This weekly collection service enables disposal of garden waste such as grass cuttings, weeds, twigs and small branches. Find out what you can and cannot put in your garden waste bin.
Customers of the service will receive a 240 litre brown garden waste bin (this is the same size as our on-street recycling bins). If you think you'll produce more than 240 litre of garden waste, you can ask for an additional 240 litre bin and pay an additional £93.50.
- put your garden waste bin ready for collection by 6am on the day of your collection - find out your collection day
- to ensure collection, your garden waste bin must be moved to the inside edge of your property and be clear of obstructions
- your bin must not be over filled - if you have additional waste store it on your property and put it out for collection the following week
- we will not collect heavy bins weighing over 20kgs
- the bin must not be damaged, the wheels need to work, and the lid should shut - order a replacement bin if yours is damaged
- garden waste bins must only contain items including branches no more than 10cm thick and 50cm long, cut-up Christmas trees, fallen fruit, flowers, hedge trimmings, house flowers, leaves, plants, twigs, weeds (except Japanese knotweed, Rhododendron, Yew, Ragwort or Hemlock)
If you think your bin has been missed, please report a missed garden waste collection.
Alternative ways to dispose of your garden waste
It is important that garden waste is not placed in your rubbish (black) bin for disposal.
We provide the garden waste collection service at £93.50 per annum for 52 collections (£1.79 per collection), however if you do not wish to participate in this service and produce garden waste you need to find an alternative way to get rid of the garden waste.
Other options include:
- taking your garden waste to our Landmann Way Reuse and Recycling Centre
- composting your garden waste, get advice on composting or buy a compost bin
- private contractor – please ensure any private contractor you use is a registered waste carrier and provides you with the correct evidence for disposal
If you continue to use the garden waste service but do not pay, you are in breach of your household responsibilities outlined in the Environmental Protection Act 1990 - this could result in a fine of up to £300.
Your garden waste subscription
Renewing your subscription
You can renew your yearly subscription from February for collections starting in April.
Cancelling your subscription
After your 14-day cooling off period, the fee is non-refundable. If you want to cancel your subscription during the first 14 days please contact the garden waste team on 020 8314 9756 between 9am and 4pm, Monday to Friday or email email@example.com.
Terms and conditions
When you pay, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the garden waste collection service.