Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Abuse and neglect

If you are experiencing abuse or neglect, or you know someone who is, we are here to help.

Report a safeguarding issue

We think that safeguarding is everyone’s business, so all of our staff receive safeguarding training. We work closely with other agencies and make referrals to them to make sure our residents are free from abuse and neglect.

We have a dedicated member of staff who monitors cases involving our residents. We are also a member of the Lewisham Safeguarding Adult Board.

If you think a child or vulnerable adult is in immediate danger please call 999. Otherwise, contact our safeguarding teams directly:

For adults

The Adult Social Care Advice and Information Team - 020 8314 7777.

For children

Referral and Assessment (Children’s) Service - 020 8314 6660.

You can also report any issues you are worried about to our housing services team online, including seeking advice on support needs if you, or someone you know, is struggling to live independently.

Mental health

If you're concerned about your own or someone else’s mental health, contact your or their GP first.

The South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust can also provide support.

You can refer yourself to Lewisham Talking Therapies our community counselling services.

Help around the home

We can assist residents struggling to stay independent in their home by doing minor adaptations, such as fitting hand rails or lever taps.

If bigger adaptations are needed, our Occupational Therapy team may be able to help.

Our Homecare services and Adult social care team can also help people to stay independent in their home.

Domestic abuse

If you are in immediate danger, call the police on 999.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse, you can call the 24-hour freephone National Domestic Violence Helpline on 080 8200 0247.

You can also speak to our housing team for support by emailing safeguarding@lewisham.gov.uk.

Accessible safeguarding information 

We can provide translation and interpreting services if you require safeguarding information in different languages and/or formats.

Contact us

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything