Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Reuse and recycling centre

Information about the reuse and recycling centre on Landmann Way in New Cross, including who can use the centre, when it is open and what you can recycle.

Who can use the centre

You can only use the reuse and recycling centre if you live in the Lewisham borough. You must bring ID with you to prove you are a resident.

These have to be original documents, we won't accept electronic copies.

Proof of ID and address

We accept:

  • current photo driving licence
  • current Blue Badge parking permit.

Separate proof of identity and proof of address

For proof of identity, we accept:

  • passport

  • work ID

  • gym membership with photo

  • medical card

  • national insurance card

  • credit or debit card.

For proof of address, we accept:

  • gas, electricity or telephone bill, no more than four months old

  • water bill, no more than 12 months old

  • bank, credit card or building society statement, no more than four months old

  • current council rent book or council tenancy agreement

  • council tax bill, less than 12 months old

  • housing association tenancy agreement or housing association rent book.

We do not accept any other proof of address or identity.

Opening hours

1 April–30 September opening hours

Sunday to Friday (last vans 6.30pm and last cars 6.50pm):    8am–7pm

Saturday (last vans 11.30am and last cars 11.50am):              8am–12 noon

Bank holidays (last vans 6.30pm and last cars 6.50pm):         8am–7pm

1 October–31 March opening hours

Sunday to Friday (last vans 3.30pm and last cars 3.50pm):    8am–4pm

Saturday (last vans 11.30am and last cars 11.50am):              8am–12 noon

Bank holidays (last vans 3.30pm and last cars 3.50pm):         8am–4pm

25 and 26 December, 1 January:                                                   closed

The site is very busy on weekends, especially on Saturdays when the centre closes at 12 noon.

On Saturdays, we may not allow cars with seats that are down or removed to enter after 11.30am, depending on the size of load. You may have to complete a non-trade declaration form. This does not apply if your car has the seats up.

What you can recycle

You can recycle:

  • glass

  • textiles

  • scrap metal

  • cans and tins

  • paper and card

  • electrical items

  • all light bulbs

  • plastic bottles

  • car batteries

  • TVs and monitors

  • used cooking oil

  • garden waste and wood

  • fridges and freezers

  • bulky household items.

We will count and record the number of TVs, monitors, fridges and freezers you deposit, and we may ask you to complete a form. Make sure any fridges and freezers are empty.

What you can't recycle

We cannot accept:

  • car tyres
  • soil and stones
  • baths
  • window frames
  • sacks of general DIY waste
  • kitchen units
  • concrete fence posts
  • water tanks
  • toilets
  • plasterboard
  • worktops.

DIY waste

We also do not accept:

  • DIY waste and rubble because it counts as construction and demolition waste. 

  • Trade waste, including waste removed by a private contractor for a resident.

To dispose of DIY waste, rubble, soil and stones you can hire a skip or hippo bags, or Licensed waste carriers.

Site rules

Our site rules are:

  • You should pre-sort items so you can dispose of them quickly and help the speed of traffic flow.

  • You can't park your vehicles outside the site and walk items in.

  • We will reject vehicles with inappropriate loads.

  • We may inspect the load in your vehicle before you enter the site and while you unload.

Van drivers

There are special rules for van drivers:

  • If your van contains a mix of unacceptable and acceptable loads we will reject it.

  • You can only bring your van in four times each financial year.

  • Trailers and open backed vehicles are not allowed.

  • Commercial vehicles are not allowed to use the site, except for authorised contractors.

  • If you hire a van and drive it yourself, you are allowed on site.

  • 'Man and van' vehicles are not allowed, even if hired by a resident.

Hazardous waste collection

The City of London provides a hazardous household waste collection service to help you safely dispose of asbestos and boxed chemicals including paint.

If you want to arrange a collection or would like more information about this service, visit the City of London's website or call them on 020 7332 3433.

Reuse and recycling centres in neighbouring boroughs

You can use the reuse and recycling centres in Bexley and Bromley, but there is a fixed charge for every visit by non-residents.

  • In Bexley, you will be charged £10 a visit.

  • In Bromley, you will be charged £3 a visit for household waste.

Bromley may also accept soil, brick, DIY, rubble and construction waste for a fee according to weight. The minimum charge is £21 and vehicles must use the weighbridge for an exact price.

Check their websites for up-to-date information:


Reuse and recycling centre

Civic Amenities Site, Landmann Way, London, SE14 5RS

You may also be interested in...

What you can put in your recycling bin
You can use your recycling bin to dispose of paper, metal, glass and plastic.
Garden waste
Find out how you can dispose of your garden waste – or learn how to compost it yourself.