Pay your council tax
Payments are due on the first day of the month (unless you've arranged to pay by Direct Debit).
Before we send formal legal notices, when possible, we send letters to remind residents when their payments are overdue. Find out what happens if you don’t pay your council tax.
Pay by Direct Debit
You can set up a Direct Debit securely online. You’ll need:
- your Council Tax account number
- the property's address
- your bank account number and sort code – you must be the account holder and authorised to set up a Direct Debit
Payments can be taken:
- monthly – over 10 or 12 instalments, on the first, 18th or 28th day of the month
- quarterly on 1 April, 1 July, 1 October and 1 January
- weekly – every Friday
- half yearly – on 1 April and 1 October
- yearly – on 1 April
Paying online is easy and secure. You’ll need your council tax account number - you’ll find it on your bill.
Pay by online banking
You can pay via your online bank account using the details below:
- sort code: 20-00-00
- account number: 93380513
- account name: London Borough of Lewisham
You'll need to quote your council tax account number - you'll find it on your bill.
Pay by phone
You can pay your council tax by debit or credit card by using our direct telephone line 020 8690 8707.
Pay at a Post Office or PayPoint outlet
On the back of your bill is a barcode. Take this to any Post Office or PayPoint outlet.
Your bill shows the instalment amounts and the dates you should pay them. You should pay at least seven days before the payment is due to make sure it reaches us in time.
Tell the cashier how much you want to pay and they will process your payment and give you your bill back with a receipt. Keep the receipt as proof of payment.