Targeted short breaks for families of disabled children
Who can get targeted short breaks
Your child must:
be under 18 years old
live in the borough
have a diagnosed disability
get the higher rate care component of disability living allowance (DLA)
not already get the specialist short breaks service.
If your child doesn't get the higher rate care component of the DLA
If your child does not get the higher rate, but still needs help to access activities, we can assess you to see if you can still get targeted short breaks. To apply, complete the application form below and email or post it back to us.
If you are completing the form electronically, make sure your answers fit in the boxes. If your answer requires scrolling, we won't be able to read it when we print the form. The application will be considered on an individual basis by the care package panel.
What you will get
If you are eligible, we can help you get 100 hours of short breaks every year by:
- giving you direct payments that you can use to arrange support to meet your child's additional needs while you take a short break
arranging help at home so you are able to take a short break
referring you to Rockbourne Youth Centre or the Saturday Club.
How to apply
Complete the application form below. You can apply if you are a:
parent or carer
professional, such as a social worker or teacher
What happens after you apply
We will discuss your application to see if you are eligible for support.
If you are eligible
- We will ask you to meet a short break coordinator at Kaleidoscope who will help you work out which support option will best suit your family's needs.
- The coordinator will work out a support plan for you.
- After 12 months, we will review your short breaks service. If the plan is not meeting your needs, we can change it, or we may decide to end your access to the service.
- If your child is able to access mainstream without additional support, then we may decide to end your support.
Children with Complex Needs Service - Short Breaks
Telephone: 07468 709362 / 07468 709083 / 07468 709273 / 07468 709303 / 07920 045899 / 07468 709247 / 07827 305591
Services for children and young people with SEND
This page is part of the 'local offer' for children and young people with special educational needs