Aids, adaptations and equipment for children and young people with SEND
About the service
We help children and young people with disabilities to:
- increase their safety and independence
- improve their participation in daily activities and fulfil their potential.
We can visit children and young people with permanent disabilities in their home and do a functional assessment of their daily activities.
After the assessment, we:
- recommend specialist equipment and minor or major adaptations
- advise on safe manual handling techniques.
What support you can get
- give you equipment to help increase independence with activities such as getting in and out of the bath
- give you equipment to help your child move from one position to another if they can’t do so on their own
- give you specialist seating to increase independence and support postural management
- make recommendations for minor adaptations, such as grab rails on stairs and window restrictors
- make recommendations for major adaptations, such as a level access shower, through-floor lift or ramp at the front of your property.
To access this service, you must:
- have a permanent disability (including physical and learning disabilities and mental health problems)
- live in the Lewisham borough
- be aged 0–18 years old.
How to make a referral
You can refer yourself or you can be referred by:
- your parent or carer
- health and social care professionals.
You can make a referral by email or phone using the contact details below.