Offer supported lodging for a young person leaving care
About the scheme
Supported lodgings is an accommodation scheme for young people leaving care, aged 16–21, who are not yet ready to live on their own.
The aim of the scheme is to offer young people the opportunity to live in the home of an approved person who will help them prepare for independent living.
This will be a safe and supportive environment where a young person can develop the practical skills and emotional maturity to move on and cope with living independently.
Who we are we looking for
We need people who:
- have a spare room in their home to rent
- are patient and understanding
- live in the borough
- are willing to help a young person, aged 16–21, develop life skills and become more independent.
We want to recruit people from a variety of different cultural and ethnic backgrounds and encourage families, couples or single people to apply. You can work full time, part time or live on benefits.
The most important thing is that you like being with teenagers and have an understanding of some of the issues they may face, as well as the time and flexibility to offer advice and support.
You must be able to offer a young person:
- a room of their own
- their own front door key
- a home environment that is safe and welcoming
- use of shared facilities including the kitchen, bathroom, lounge and dining room
- advice on practical skills such as budgeting, shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry, using public transport and other essential life skills
- a supportive and non-judgemental approach
- encouragement to make and sustain positive relationships with friends and family.
What we can offer you
In return for providing accommodation, there are many benefits, including:
weekly payments of £200 for rent and support
a preparation training course and ongoing training opportunities
ongoing support and supervision
the opportunity to develop a positive relationship with a young person
experience of working with young people
the opportunity to make a difference to a young person’s life.
How to become a provider
If you are interested in becoming a supported lodgings provider, contact us for an information pack.
We will assess applicants to make sure they have the right skills and abilities to support a young person in their own home.
The assessment process takes about three months and involves:
answering questions about yourself and your life
successfully completing local authority, CRB and medical checks
providing satisfactory references.