Skills and qualities you will need for fostering
Children and young people in foster care are vulnerable. That means we have to assess you and make sure you’re prepared before they come to live you with.
Before you foster
You need to show that you:
- have the skills needed to care for other people’s children
- understand how it feels for children to be separated from their own families
You probably already have many of the skills needed to become a foster carer. We will work with you to make sure you have the training and support you need to become an approved foster carer.
What skills you need
As a foster carer you need to:
- provide a good standard of care for other people’s children (this involves promoting their health, education and leisure interests)
listen and communicate with children in a way that is appropriate for their age and understanding
- help the child keep in contact with their friends and family as appropriate
- set boundaries and manage children’s behaviour without using physical punishment or other unreasonable discipline methods
- make sure the child is cared for in an environment where they are safe from harm and abuse
- work as part of a team with the child’s social worker, teacher and other professionals.
Apply to become a foster carer
If you meet the criteria above and want to find out more about fostering, contact us using the form below and we will get in touch with you.