Setting up a school travel plan
What is a school travel plan?
This is a working document which promotes safe, healthy and sustainable travel to and from school.
It allows schools to improve their pupils' health and social development - and to reduce traffic congestion.
All schools must create and implement a school travel plan across the UK. We are here to provide guidance and support to the staff, parents, governors or pupils who put together the travel plan for their school.
How to get started
Give us a call. We can visit you at your site to answer any questions and discuss how we can help you develop your own school travel plan.
Six good reasons to have a school travel plan
1. Improve the health and fitness of pupils and staff
- Better health and fitness has been linked to enhanced learning and better behaviour.
- Pupils arrive alert and ready to learn.
- Help combat childhood obesity.
2. Provide a healthier environment
- Decrease CO2 emissions and other pollution.
- Reduce traffic congestion.
- Establish safer walking and cycling routes to the school.
3. Help teach responsibility and independence
- Increase students' awareness of their environment and connection to their community.
- Improve children's road safety skills.
4. Get funding for your school
Funding options are available for
capital improvements, or
to support your sustainable travel initiatives.
Contact us for more information.
5. Improve relations with the local community
- Bring other authorities closer to the school community (for example, police, traffic wardens and road safety officers).
- Bring your existing school community closer.
- Increase parents' or guardians' involvement with the school and their child’s actions.
6. Awards and Ofsted
Sustainable Travel Accredited and Recognised (STAR) status is awarded to schools that show a commitment to their school travel plan.