Free temporary parking permits for COVID-19 key workers
Over the past twelve weeks we have issued over 3,500 free temporary key workers permits to enable COVID-19 workers to commute to work throughout the peak of the pandemic.
To ensure our COVID-19 critical workers continue to benefit from our free temporary key workers permits, we are revising the criteria for our key workers permit from 1 July 2020.
New key worker permit criteria:
- Health and social care:
- Social workers
- Care workers
- and other frontline health and social care staff including volunteers; the support and specialist staff required to maintain the UK’s health and social care sector;
- This includes those working as part of the health and social care supply chain, including producers and distributors of medicines and medical and personal protective equipment
- Police officers
- Teachers and other education professionals
Those who meet the new criteria will have their free temporary key worker permit extended until 30 November 2020.
If you have changed your vehicle you will need to update your permit.
All workers who do not fall into the categories above will have their key worker permits discontinued from 1 July 2020 and will need to pay to park.
Reason for revised criteria
Previously when lockdown began, following Government guidance, we adopted broad key worker permit criteria which included shop workers, transport staff and child care workers. As lockdown is easing we need to be mindful not to encourage non-essential travel, facilitate busier roads as well as increase in vehicle emissions from increased vehicle usage.
How to apply
If you are a COVID-19 key worker and would like to apply for a free temporary permit, you will be required to provide evidence of key worker status.
Acceptable evidence includes:
- a letter/ email from your employer detailing key worker status
- a photograph of your work pass/ work ID
You have the option to upload a maximum two vehicles to your permit however only one vehicle will be protected at any one time. Please ensure that you select the relevant vehicle.
Where can you park?
In Lewisham, key worker parking permit holders are permitted to park in or on:
- on street permit bays (residents)
- Pay and Display bays
- short-stay parking bays
Holders are not permitted to park in or on the:
- single yellow lines
- council operated car parks
- loading bays
- footway (including the pavement)
- double yellow lines
- bus stops
- zig-zag markings
- disabled persons parking bays
Please note that anyone who has applied for a key workers permit must be a valid COVID-19 key worker. Those who are not may have their permits cancelled.
Please check this page frequently for any updates.