Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Means testing for a home repairs grant or loan

Find out if you are eligible for our home repairs grants and loans scheme, which you can use to bring your property up to a decent standard.

Find out who needs to be means tested for a home repairs grant or loan, and what the financial assessment is. You are not eligible for the home repairs grant if we assess that you can contribute more than £5,000.

What information we need

You need to give us copies of all original paperwork including:

  • bank statements
  • savings books
  • weekly or monthly payslips
  • benefit details
  • stocks and shares
  • pension details.

You should gather these before you submit your application to help speed up the process.

We do not take your outgoings, such as mortgage payments or bills, in to account.

You must not start adapting your home until we send you formal approval of your grant or loan application in writing.

Who is exempt from means testing

Means-tested benefits

If you get any of the following means-tested benefits, you do not need to make a contribution towards the work:

  • income support
  • income-based employment and support allowance (not contribution-based ESA)
  • income-based jobseeker's allowance (not contribution-based JSA)
  • guarantee pension credit (not savings pension credit alone)
  • housing benefit
  • working tax credit or child tax credit (if your annual income for the purposes of assessing entitlement to the tax credit is less than £15,050)
  • universal credit (this includes any amount of universal credit, which is being rolled out as a replacement for working age benefits and tax credits).