Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Who can get a home repairs loan

Priority of home repair loans goes to residents in greatest need. 

To apply for a loan you will need to:

  • be at least 18-years-old and live at the property as your main home
  • have owned and occupied the property for at least three years before the date of your application
  • have a member of your household who is aged 60+, 16 or younger, someone who has a disability or has a long-term serious illness
  • be on a low income
  • be living in a 'non-decent' home.

What is a 'non-decent' home?

A 'non-decent' home is a property that:

  • is not in a good state of repair, we consider hazards at the property

  • doesn't have a reasonably modern kitchen and bathroom, and/or

  • doesn't have central heating, and/or

  • doesn't have proper insulation.

Do I qualify as an owner?

If you own your home outright or are in the process of buying it with mortgage assistance, you qualify as an owner. You must also live in the property as your main home.

If you are a long leaseholder with responsibility for the work, you must have at least 60 years left to run on your lease and live in the property as your main residence. You will need to provide a copy of your lease to prove you are responsible for the work that needs to be carried out.

Do you give grants or loans for newly bought homes which need full modernisation?

No. Home repairs grants and loans are only available to residents who have owned and occupied their property for at least three years. However, if you are in receipt of a benefit (e.g. income support), you may still be eligible for a grant to make your home more energy efficient.

How do you define ‘a member of the household who is disabled or has a long term serious illness’?

For the purpose of this policy, a disabled person is a person who is getting a disability benefit, or who gets a disability premium as part of their claim for a means-tested benefit.

When assessing whether someone has a long-term serious illness, factors taken into account include the severity and likely duration of the illness, whether the illness restricts their ability to work or leave their home and the extent to which the condition of the home will aggravate their illness.

But remember, if a member of your household is aged over 60 or you have a child or children under 16-years-old, you can still apply for a loan even if no one in your household is disabled or has a long term serious illness.

What does low income mean?

To calculate if you are on low income, we will need full details of all your income and savings. You must also declare your full or joint ownership of any other properties, regardless of their value.

A loan will not be available if you owe us money, e.g. council tax. All debts with us must be declared on your application form and be paid in full before your loan application can go ahead.

Are there any other criteria I need to meet?

We cannot accept your application if you are someone who has limited leave to enter or remain in the UK in accordance with any provision of the Home Office immigration rules relating to the right to public funds.

No application will be accepted if your home has been built or provided by conversion within the last 10 years.

When deciding if you are eligible for a grant and/or loan, any mortgages or other loans secured on your property are taken into account. You must also declare any unsecured debts exceeding £10,000.

More information and conditions of applying can be found in the housing assistance policy below.

Find out how to apply for a home repairs loan.