About home repairs grants and loans
We offer grants and interest-free loans that you can use to bring your home up to a decent standard. See what you can use the money for.
If you are eligible, you can get a grant of £5,000 and an interest-free loan of up to £25,000.
- You must not start work at the property until we have issued a written approval of your application in writing. We will not pay for work carried out before your grant has been approved.
- One of our grant surveyors will visit your property to see if the repairs needed meet the eligibility criteria.
- The grant and loan are means tested. We will assess if you need to make a contribution towards the cost of the work (up to a maximum of £5,000) based on your capital, savings, income and benefits. If you do, you must pay this before we make payments from your grant and/or loan.
- We do charge an agency fee. This is usually included in the cost of the grant or loan. The fee will vary depending on the type of grant assistance. If for any reason the grant does not proceed, you will not be charged for any costs already incurred.
- To find out more, read the information for applications, and terms and conditions below.
Paying off the loan
The loan we provide is interest free and secured against your property. You do not need to make regular payments. You must repay the whole loan in the following circumstances:
If you sell your property within five years of the work being certified as completed.
Within six months of your death, or in the case of joint owners, within six months of the death of the last owner. In these circumstances, the executor of your estate will be responsible for paying back the loan.
If the property, or part of the property, is sold.
Fifty years from the expiry of the lease, if you are a long leaseholder.
To discuss the home repairs grant and loan, contact us on the details below. If you email us, please include HRG in the subject line.