Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Who can get a disabled facilities grant

Find out who is eligible to apply for a disabled facilities grant and how we decide who gets one.

You can apply for the grant if you are a:

  • homeowner
  • private tenant
  • social housing tenant. 

Social housing tenants

Some social housing landlords pay for the adaptations. If you pay your rent to Lewisham Homes, there is a separate adaptations programme. 

Private tenants

If you are a private tenant, you or your landlord can apply for the grant. If the owner of the property is a landlord, they must provide written permission for the works and a certificate of intended letting.;

How we decide what adaptations you need

Not everyone is eligible for specialist adaptations. An occupational therapist will assess your needs to see if you meet the criteria for these grants. After the assessment, the occupational therapist may refer you for a disabled facilities grant.

You should wait until we have formally approved your grant or loan in writing before you start any adaptation work.

Means testing

The grant is means tested, unless you get certain means-tested benefits or the adaptations are for a disabled child. This means you may need to pay towards the cost of the work, depending on your financial situation. Find out more about the means testing.

If your adaptations can’t be covered by the grant

Sometimes the work needed cannot be covered by the grant limit, and moving house may be a better long-term solution. In these situations, we may be able to give you a grant of up to £3,000 towards the costs of moving home. Contact us for more information, or read the housing assistance policy.



Housing Assistance Team

Email: housingassistance@lewisham.gov.uk
Opening hours:

The reception is open Monday to Friday, 9am–5pm.

Telephone: 020 8314 6622