What you can use a disabled facilities grant for
You can get a disabled facilities grant to:
- make the entrance to your home accessible
- make your home safe
- make your living room, bedroom, bathroom or toilet accessible
- make the controls to your heating, lighting, power or other amenities accessible
- install or improve a heating system
- make your home more accessible to enable the care of a resident
- make your garden accessible.
How much grant you can get
The maximum grant is £30,000.
If you need more than £30,000
If the work can’t be completed within the grant limit, we may be able to offer you an extra discretionary disabled adaptations loan of up to £15,000.
You can use this loan to:
- carry out building work to improve the welfare, needs or employment opportunities of a disabled person
- help provide care arrangements.
The loan is interest free and secured against your property. You do not need to make regular repayments. If you sell the property, you must repay the loan in full.
Terms and conditions
Who oversees the building work
We can manage the project
You can hire our Housing Assistance Team to schedule the work, draw up plans, get quotes and supervise the works. The team will also:
get planning and building control permission
manage responsibilities under the Party Wall Act and The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015, if needed.
We charge for this service and it can usually be included in your grant.
You can manage the project
You can self-manage the works and take responsibility for organising plans, quotes and supervising the work. If you decide to self-manage the project, you will be responsible for:
- getting planning and building control permission
- managing responsibilities under the Party Wall Act and The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations if needed.
Alternatively, you can employ a qualified architect or building surveyor. If you employ an architect or building surveyor, their fee can usually be covered by the grant or loan. Please discuss this with us before you apply.
How we make payments
If you have to make a financial contribution, you must do this before we make any grant or loan payments.
The payments process
- We will make interim payments if we are satisfied with the works.
- Your contractor can request interim (stage) payments when they have completed appropriate work.
- One of our surveyors will inspect the works.
- Your contractor can submit their invoice, and health and safety pack if needed.
- We will make a payment.