Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Means testing for a disabled facilities grant

​Find out who needs to be means tested for a disabled facilities grant, and what the financial assessment.

What information you need to give us

An occupational therapist will assess you to see if you are eligible for the grant. If they refer you for a grant, we will contact you to assess your finances. You will need to give us:

  • a completed application form

  • identification.

You also need to give us copies of all original paperwork including:

  • bank statements
  • savings books
  • weekly or monthly payslips
  • benefit details
  • stocks and shares
  • pension details.

To speed up the process, you should gather all your financial documents, before you submit your application. The financial assessment will tell us what, if any, contribution you need to make towards the adaptations.

You must not start adapting your home until we send you formal approval of your grant or loan application in writing.

What we will assess

We will assess your income and savings, unless you get certain means-tested benefits or the adaptations are for a disabled child. We will also assess your partner’s finances.

You are not eligible for the grant if we assess that you can contribute more than the cost of works. If your adaptations will cost more than £30,000, you must contribute to the cost. If you're a homeowner and the cost of works are more than £30,000 you could apply for an interest-free discretionary disabled adaptation loan up to £15,000.

What we will not assess

We do not take your outgoings, such as mortgage payments or bills, in to account.

Who is exempt from means testing

Disabled children

If the adaptations are needed for your child, you will not be means tested for a grant. If you apply for the interest-free discretionary disabled adaptation loan, you will be means tested.

Means-tested benefits

If you get any of the following means-tested benefits, you do not need to make a contribution towards the work:

  • income support

  • income-based employment and support allowance (not contribution-based ESA)

  • income-based jobseeker's allowance (not contribution-based JSA)

  • guarantee pension credit (not savings pension credit alone)

  • housing benefit

  • working tax credit or child tax credit (if your annual income for the purposes of assessing entitlement to the tax credit is less than £15,050)

  • universal credit (this includes any amount of universal credit, which is being rolled out as a replacement for working age benefits and tax credits).