Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

How to apply for a disabled facilities grant

Find out how to apply for a disabled facilities grant.

Occupational therapist assessment

First, you need to be assessed by an occupational therapist (OT). The OT may find you need minor equipment to meet your needs. If so, we will provide this equipment, and you will not be referred for a grant.

Adaptations for adults

To arrange an occupational therapy assessment for an adult, call us on 020 8314 7777 or email gateway@lewisham.gov.uk.

Adaptations for children

To arrange an assessment for a child, call Kaleidoscope – our children and young people’s centre – on 020 7138 1100.

After the OT assessment

If the OT agrees to refer you for a disabled facilities grant, they will make a referral to us and we will send you an application form to complete. You will also need to complete a financial assessment.

How long it takes to consider your grant application

When we receive a full and valid application, we have up to six months to approve or refuse the application.

A full and valid application includes:

  • a completed and signed application form
  • all financial details included on the form and financial evidence supplied
  • written permission and certificate of intended letting from a landlord (if applicable)
  • owner occupation or tenant certificate
  • quotes from two independent competitive contractors for the works
  • consents for the works, if needed
  • written agreement from you to pay any assessed financial contribution towards the works.

Visit from a surveyor

Depending on the type of work to be carried out, a surveyor will visit your home to see if the recommended works are feasible and practicable.

This visit could take place before or after you submit your application, depending on the OT's recommendation.

If all works are feasible and practicable, the surveyor will produce a schedule of works.