Solar Together Lewisham
Do you want to save on your energy bill and generate your own clean electricity? Having your own solar panels can be an intelligent investment. Not only you can save on your energy bill, but you will be powering your home with renewable energy.
With just over 50% of the borough’s emissions derived from domestic energy use, there is a need for local, clean energy solutions. As part of our commitment to do everything in our power to become a carbon neutral borough by 2030, Lewisham Council is partnering with the Mayor of London on Solar Together London.
This is an initiative which makes the purchase of solar panels as cost effective and hassle-free as possible, giving our residents the opportunity to buy solar panels, battery storage and even electric car charging points at a competitive price.
Solar Together Lewisham - buying solar panels and battery storage made easy
Solar panels can seem complicated but buying a solar system doesn’t need to be daunting.
Solar Together is a group-buying scheme that helps you through the process, keeping you informed at every stage.
Do you already have solar panels installed? You can also register to have battery storage added to your existing solar panels to maximise the benefits of your system. For more information please see the accompanying leaflet.
How does it work?
- Registration: register before the 23 March 2021 for free and without obligation, on the Solar Together website. To register you simply provide details about your roof, such as its size and orientation.
- Auction: a supplier ‘auction’ will be held on 23 March when our approved solar suppliers will bid for the work. The more people that register, the better the deal should be for each household.
- Personal recommendation: from 12 April you will be contacted with a personal recommendation, based on the specifications of your roof.
- You decide: the decision is then yours as to whether you want to accept your recommendation. There is no obligation to continue. You will have until 12 May to decide and will be invited to visit an information session.
- Installation: if you accept, the winning supplier will contact you to survey your roof and set an installation date. All installations are planned to be completed by the end of October 2021.
The more people that participate, the better the price we can secure and the more renewable energy will be generated by residents.
The Solar Together group-buying scheme is open to all London residents who own their own house (or have permission from the landlord to install a solar PV system). Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and some Commonhold Associations are also eligible for the scheme.
Installations will generally not need planning permission. However in some cases, such as in Conservation Areas and on Listed Buildings, planning permission may be required. Read our solar panels planning advice page.
Electric vehicle charging points
Domestic electric vehicle charging points, for private use only, can also be purchased within the Solar Together initiative. However, they cannot be bought as a stand-alone product; they must be purchased as an addition to solar panels. They are also only available for properties with existing crossovers (driveways). Find out more about electric cars and installing an EV charge point on the Zap Map website.