Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Council tax deductions from your benefits

​If your council tax is overdue, we can contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and ask them to deduct it directly from your benefits. This is called an ‘attachment of benefits order’.

The DWP can deduct your unpaid council tax from any of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit.

We will make a request directly to the DWP who will then contact you to tell you the deductions are being made.

A fixed amount of £3.70 per week will be deducted from your benefits and sent to us. These deductions will continue until your outstanding council tax is paid in full or your entitlement to the relevant benefit ends.