How to help during COVID-19
We want your help with improving our website so it is easier to use, and provides the information that residents need. Help us by filling in this short survey.
NHS Volunteer Responders
NHS Volunteer Responders has been set up to support the NHS and the social care sector during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Volunteers must be 18 or over and have a smart phone. Types of volunteers include:
- Community response volunteer, which involves collecting shopping, medication or other essential supplies for someone who is self-isolating, and delivering these supplies to their home.
- Patient transport volunteer, which involves driving discharged patients to their homes.
- NHS transport volunteer, which involves moving equipment, supplies or medication between sites.
- Check-in and chat volunteer, which involves providing regular support calls to elderly people who are in isolation and at risk of loneliness.
- Clinical roles with St John Ambulance, including administering the vaccine.
All of the borough’s food banks are run by volunteers and rely on donations. Find a food bank donation point.
Alternatively, you can donate money online to Lewisham Food Bank.
Other volunteering opportunities:
We are working with the below organisations to coordinate our response to COVID-19 and help the most vulnerable. Sometimes they need volunteers so you can check their websites below for opportunities.
Get tested for COVID-19
As you volunteer you can get a rapid COVID-19 test even if you don't have any symptoms.
If you are out in the community you are thought to be more at risk of spreading the virus. Get tested regularly to help protect your family, friends and everyone in your workplace.