Protecting yourself and others from COVID-19
There are new national COVID-19 restrictions in place to slow the spread of coronavirus. Read more about the COVID-19 restrictions on the Government website.
Hand washing and hygiene measures
To help stop the spread of COVID-19, you should:
- wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser if soap and water are not available
- use disposable tissues to cover your nose and mouth when sneezing, coughing or blowing your nose and then dispose of the tissue in a bin
- avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces in your home
If you are using public transport, you should follow the safer travel guidance for passengers and must wear a face covering.
You must also wear a face covering when:
- Moving through transport hubs, including railway stations, bus stations and airports
- Visiting shops and businesses, including supermarkets, shopping centres, banks, building societies and post offices
- Visiting other indoor locations, such as museums, galleries, cinemas and places of worship
Social distancing guidelines
As lockdown restrictions are eased, social distancing guidelines are more important than ever. Please follow the guidelines to keep your family and friends safe and prevent the spread of COVID-19.
You should continue to remain two metres apart from anyone who is not a member of your household or support bubble, whether you meet with them inside or outside. Where this is not possible, you should keep ‘one metre plus’ apart. This means you can be less than two metres away from someone else, but only if other measures are in place to limit the transmission of the virus, such as:
- a screen
- face covering
- hand washing facilities
All shops and businesses will be expected to follow the Government’s COVID-19 Secure guidelines for working safely. In many cases, this will involve making changes to how they normally operate so that customers can maintain social distancing.