COVID-19 related scams and price increases
We want your help with improving our website so it is easier to use, and provides the information that residents need. Help us by filling in this short survey.
There are many new scams around at the moment because of COVID-19.
Scams to look out for include:
people knocking at your door asking for money
people offering to go shopping for a payment
selling tests, face masks or other medical equipment
emails or texts pretending to be from the Government about topics such as financial support
emails, texts or phone calls asking for your personal details.
Criminals are using the COVID-19 vaccine to scam people.
The NHS will:
- never ask for payment - the vaccine is free
- never ask you for your bank details
- never arrive unannounced at your home to administer the vaccine
- never ask you to prove your identity by sending copies of personal documents.
COVID Pass fraud
- The NHS App is free
- The NHS COVID Pass is free
- The NHS will never ask for payment or any financial details.
The NHS COVID Pass is to show your COVID-19 status. It's available in digital or paper format.
How to protect yourself
To protect yourself against scams:
- don't let strangers into your home
- don't give money or personal details to anyone you don't know or trust
- don't click on any links in emails or texts from people you don't know. These links can harm your computer and reveal personal details.
Reporting a scam
- If you think you have been a victim of fraud or identify theft, report it to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
- Forward suspicious emails to email@example.com.
- Forward suspicious texts to 7726 for free.
Reporting a scam helps track down and stop scammers. This stops other people from being scammed. You may also be able to get any lost money back.
Price increases by businesses
Unfortunately, a small number of retailers are trying to profit from COVID-19.
You can report unfair behaviour such as:
- unfair prices
- misleading claims about products or services
- problems with the cancellation, refund or exchange of products.