Get help accessing food and essentials during COVID-19
Community Connections Lewisham
The COVID-19 response hub has moved to Community Connections Lewisham for ongoing support during the pandemic to help you with:
- staying active
- support with food issues
- accessing befriending and practical assistance
- finding new opportunities for employment, training and learning
- volunteering and participating in local projects
- connecting with groups and communities, and accessing social opportunities.
Community Connections Lewisham can help with arranging the delivery of food or essential supplies for vulnerable Lewisham residents. For food deliveries there is a minimum spend of £20 and a maximum spend of £60 and payment is taken by card over the phone. There is no delivery charge to anyone who has been contacted by the COVID-19 Test & Trace team and told to isolate due to testing positive with COVID-19. For other residents there is a charge of £6.
Call them on 0330 058 3464 for support. Their phone line is open Monday to Friday 9.30am–4pm (closes at 1pm on Thursdays).
Visit the Community Connections Lewisham website.
Community food banks available across the borough. Find an open food bank.
NHS Volunteer Responders
If you are medically vulnerable, NHS Volunteer Responders can help collecting shopping and medication.
You are considered medically vulnerable if you:
- are 70 years or over and have an underlying health condition
- are extremely vulnerable and have been sent a letter asking you to shield (read more about shielding)
- are pregnant
- newly socially vulnerable as a result of COVID-19
- have a disability as defined by the Equality Act 2010
- have another high risk condition which could include:
- chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
- a serious heart condition
- people who are immunocompromised
- severe obesity
- underlying medical conditions such as diabetes, dementia and liver disease.
To request help or refer someone you care for call 0808 196 3646.
Local mutual aid groups
Mutal aid groups connect those in need with local volunteers.
Free school meals
If you get certain welfare benefits, you can apply for free school meals for your child. Read more about free school meals.
If you have mobility issues
If you have a serious mobility impairment, you can use your Taxicard to get food and supplies.
Contact us if you have any questions or you need help applying for the support above by:
- calling us on 0208 314 3535 (we are open Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm)
- emailing email@example.com
- for urgent support outside of office hours call 0208 314 6000.