Befriending services during COVID-19
The COVID-19 restrictions can make us feel lonely. A regular telephone call could make all the difference.
Below is a list of befriending services that are available.
Age UK have a free telephone friendship service for people aged 60 and over.
They match you up with a likeminded person who's keen to make a new friend, and every week they'll give you a call.
Community Connections Lewisham
The COVID-19 response hub has moved to Community Connections Lewisham for ongoing support during the pandemic to help you with:
- staying active
- support with food issues
- accessing befriending and practical assistance
- finding new opportunities for employment, training and learning
- volunteering and participating in local projects
- connecting with groups and communities, and accessing social opportunities.
Call on 0330 058 3464. The phone line is open Monday to Friday 9.30am – 4pm.
If you need information, advice and guidance about bills, work, renting or family matters, call Advice Lewisham on 0800 231 5453 for:
- multi-Lingual support
- applying for Benefits or food vouchers
- specialist Immigration advice
- specialist Debt advice
- housing or Employment issues.
The Advice Lewisham phone line is open Monday to Friday 9.30am – 12.30pm and 1.30pm – 4pm.
If you need a food parcel, Lewisham Foodbank can support you. You will need to ask for a referral through someone like your GP, teacher, health visitor, housing officer, advice worker or social worker.
If you are unsure who to ask, you can call Lewisham Foodbank on the national referral helpline on 0808 208 2138. Advice Lewisham and Community Connections Lewisham can make a referral on your behalf.
NHS Volunteer Responders
NHS Volunteer Responders are happy to have a friendly chat if you are medically vulnerable.
You are considered medically vulnerable if you:
- are 70 years or over and have an underlying health condition
- are extremely vulnerable and have been sent a letter asking you to shield
- are pregnant
- are newly socially vulnerable as a result of COVID-19
- have a disability as defined by the Equality Act 2010
- have another high risk condition which could include: chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
- have a serious heart condition
- are immunocompromised
- are severely obese
- have underlying medical conditions such as diabetes, dementia and liver disease.
To request a friend to chat to or refer someone you care for call 0808 196 3646.