Support we are providing for businesses
Lewisham’s economy has one of the highest number of small and independent businesses in London. We are proud of that and want to do everything we can to support you at this difficult time. COVID-19 has disrupted our way of life and how we work, and we know many businesses are facing an uncertain future.
Help us understand what your business needs
The Government is starting to relax some lockdown measures. We would like to hear from you about what you need over the coming months.
Some things we will be able to help you with directly. Other things we may need to lobby the Government for on your behalf.
The survey takes ten minutes to complete.
What we are doing to support your business
Along with 23 other London boroughs, we lobbied the Government to introduce more help for the self-employed. We took the lead in this lobbying and we will continue to speak out on behalf of businesses in Lewisham. We will do this through our proposed Lewisham Backs Business Taskforce.
Lewisham Backs Business Task Group
We are creating this task group to develop and coordinate an integrated response to supporting business recovery quickly, inclusively and sustainably from the disruption of COVID-19. The aim of the task group is to:
- help to lobby the Government for additional measures to alleviate financial hardship and support appropriate industry campaigns
- work with partners in industry and in other boroughs to survey business views and gather intelligence on the broader impact of COVID-19
- develop business, employment and skills programmes to kick start the recovery
- help shape our indicative COVID-19 Recovery – Economy 10 point plan
- signpost local businesses to Government grant assistance
- provide additional and targeted support to local business
- assess and assist our business tenants
- spot any ‘gaps and cracks’ in the Government’s support measures
- maintain contact with local business – understanding what they need and signposting them to support
- assess the overall economic, business and jobs impact of COVID-19 on Lewisham and develop a borough-wide vision for inclusive recovery and growth
- support those who have lost their jobs and income
- be ready with schemes/programmes that maximise recovery
- work with our Regeneration, Economy and Partnership, and our Planning and Culture teams to restore and boost our street scenes and night time economy
- future-proof our skills base.
In addition to implementing government measures, we will discuss individual business circumstances such as deferring, discounting, or forgoing payments for:
- rent for Council owned commercial properties
- service charge for Council owned commercial properties
- Council commercial waste contracts
- premises licenses
- market trading licenses
- shop forecourt licences
- business parking permits.
To get in touch with us about support for your business:
You can also sign up to receive regular business updates from us.