Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

What you need to bring to your appointment

You will need to bring original copies of documents as evidence of your name, date of birth, nationality, address and marital status.

We can only accept these documents.

Evidence of name, date of birth and nationality

If you are British citizen born before 1 January 1983

  • Bring a valid UK passport.

If you do do not have a passport, you must provide all of the following documents:

  • Full UK birth certificate
  • Certificate of naturalisation (if applicable)
  • Photo identification (i.e. UK driving licence).

If you were born after 1 January 1983

  • Bring a valid UK passport.

If you do do not have a passport, you must provide all of the following documents:

  • Full UK birth certificate
  • Evidence of your parent's nationality (i.e. valid UK passports or birth certificates)
  • Certificate of naturalisation (if applicable).

EEA and foreign nationals

You must bring a valid:

  • EEA passport
  • Evidence of settled or pre-settled status. The six-digit code can be requested on the GOV.UK website.
  • non-EEA passport
  • Home Office travel document
  • Passport size photo for both of you (if either one of you are subject to immigration control or have a marriage visa).

If either of you have changed your name by Deed Poll, change of name deed or statutory declaration, we will need to see original documents.

Evidence of address

When you attend your appointment, you must each provide evidence of your current address. Couples who live together can provide one proof of address if both partners are named on a:

  • Utility bill (not older than three months)
  • Bank or building society statement (not older than one month)
  • Recent council tax bill
  • Valid UK driving licence
  • Recent mortgage statement
  • signed letter from your landlord confirming that you live at your address, together with their original council tax bill.
  • Tenancy agreement (from a recognised housing association or letting agent).

Evidence of marital status

If you have been married or in a civil partnership before, you will need to provide one of the following documents showing that you are legally free to marry:

  • original court stamped decree absolute
  • original court stamped dissolution certificate
  • certified death certificate if either of you is a widow/widower or surviving civil partner.

You must submit original copies of one of these documents along with your previous marriage or civil partnership certificate.

If the name on the divorce decree absolute or civil partnership dissolution do not match the name on your proof of identity, you will need to provide either an original certified copy of your previous marriage/civil partnership certificate or a change of name deed to link the names.

If you are a foreign national

If either or both of you are foreign nationals subject to immigration control, you will need to give notice together at a designated register office. 

From 1 July 2021 all Register Offices in England and Wales will become designated and you must then give notice together in the District where one of you resides. You must provide a passport style photograph at the appointment. You can get further information from gov.uk about acceptable UK passport photograph standards.

If you are under 18

You will need to get consent from the person with parental responsibility for you.

Next steps