Find out more about New Cross including local events, democracy, schools, transport links and more.
A map of New Cross. New Cross is an area in the London borough of Lewisham situated between Deptford and New Cross Gate.
The area is in New Cross ward.
- Amersham Children's Centre
- Besson Street Children's Centre
- Woodpecker Youth Club
Parks and open spaces
- Bridgehouse Meadows
- Eckington Gardens
- Hatcham Gardens
- Luxmore Gardens
- Fordham Park
- Besson Street Community Garden
Leisure and arts
- New Cross – Charing Cross, Cannon Street, Hayes, Barnehurst, Orpington and East London Line
- New Cross Gate – London Bridge, Victoria, Horsham, Caterham and East London Line
Walking and cycling
New Cross was once a heavily wooded area known as Hatcham. The ancient and important road from London to Dover and Canterbury, now the A2, runs through the area and in the 18th century travellers using the road paid tolls at the junction of Queens Road and New Cross Road.
The gate was called New Cross Gate, after the New Cross Inn, which stood nearby.
In 1614 most of the land here was bought by the Haberdashers Company. However, it wasn’t until the 1860s that they began to transform the area building palatial houses and founding a grammar school using money from a charity founded by Robert Aske.
Published on: 29/01/2023