Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Windrush help for Lewisham residents

Find out about local and national help available.

Help from the Government

You may be able to get help through the Government’s Windrush scheme.

The Government has apologised for this national scandal. It has committed to help the people affected get the documents they need. A taskforce was established in spring 2018 to make immediate arrangements to help those who needed it.

If you apply under this scheme, the taskforce will help you through the immigration system and will help to resolve applications.

Compensation scheme

If Windrush has affected you, you may be eligible for compensation.

The Windrush Compensation Scheme is open to:

  • Commonwealth citizens who settled in the UK before 1 January 1973 or have right of abode
  • children of a Commonwealth citizen parent who settled before 1 January 1973, if the child was born in the UK or arrived in the UK before the age of 18
  • people of any nationality who settled in the UK before 31 December 1988 and are settled in the UK.

Extra help for Lewisham residents

If you live in Lewisham you can contact: