Working for us – pensions, discounts and loans
Our employees are put on the Local Government Pension Scheme. This is a career average salary scheme, so your pension benefits are guaranteed and do not depend on how investments perform.
We pay into the fund on your behalf and you will be covered for a range of benefits.
Teachers and lecturers
Teachers and lecturers who are eligible can join the Teachers’ Pension Scheme.
Contact 020 8314 9964 for information.
Loans and discounts
Interest-free employee loans: employees can take advantage of interest-free season tickets and bike loans.
- A tax-free scheme for childcare: Parents of children aged under 12 and parents of disabled children aged under 17 (on 31 August 2017) are eligible for the scheme. The scheme allows some working parents (where both parents are working or are single parents) to claim up to £2,000 per child towards the cost of childcare per year.
Significant discounts at selected local restaurants, cafes and shops through our 'shop local' scheme.
Free access to KAARP, a company that provides discounts and offers across the UK.
Access to CSSC: for less than £4 per month, you can enjoy offers and discounted prices at many major high street retail stores, restaurants, theme parks, and leisure facilities. Membership also includes free entrance to English Heritage sites, free cinema tickets and discounts on various sporting activities.
Access to Crownsavers Credit Union.
Discounted corporate membership of Downham Health & Leisure Centre.
Free cycle lessons, and cycle maintenance courses at a subsidised rate.
Free swimming between 12 noon and 2pm on weekdays.
Other employee benefits
An annual holiday entitlement of 26 days plus bank holidays, rising to 34 days after 10 years’ service.
Family-friendly policies including generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave, plus special leave to deal with family emergencies.
Long service awards.
- Access to keyworker housing.
- Confidential 24-hour helpline.
- Lunchtime walks or cycling sessions.
- Staff support groups including Black and Multicultural Forum, Young Employees Panel, LGBT Forum, Disabled Staff Forum and Apprenticeship Forum.
- Stop smoking advice.
- Access to Benenden health insurance scheme.
- Free eye tests and contributions towards the price of glasses needed for work.
- Occupational health service.