Why you should work in children's social care
What we can offer you
- a manageable caseload
- small teams and administrative support
- supportive management and supervision
- research-based practice as part of an education partnership with Goldsmiths, University of London
- career pathway to meet your learning and development needs
- first-class ASYE programme for newly-qualified social workers with a starting salary of £37,026
- excellent salaries: experienced social workers £40,503 to £42,510, senior social workers £44,691 to £46,719, advanced practitioners £50,757 to £52,806, team managers £54,825 to £56,868 and group managers £58,995 to £63,393
- mobile and flexible working with access to smartphones and iPads for all front-line practitioners
- salary sacrifice childcare vouchers.
Benefits of working in the borough of Lewisham
Lewisham today is a successful and cosmopolitan part of London occupied by energetic, creative and diverse local communities. People here enjoy:
- attractive residential neighbourhoods
- great local schools
- a huge number of award-winning parks and green spaces
- a wide range of sport and leisure facilities
- a creative and diverse cultural scene
- the chance to shape their local communities.
It is also changing. We have exciting developments taking place in our town centres and neighbourhoods. Find out more about our plans to regenerate the borough.
Benefits of working at Lewisham Council
- Local Government Pension Scheme – both employee and employer contributions, including tax free lump sum, ill health, redundancy and death benefits.
- Annual leave – starting at 26 days a year (plus public holidays) rising to 31 and 34 days after five and 10 years' continued service. From 1 April 2023, you'll get an additional one day's leave.
- Working hours – 35 hours a week.
- Family friendly policies covering maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
- Financial loans – a range of interest free employee loans.
- Access to keyworker housing.
- Access to pensions, discounts and loans.
We have excellent transport connections with national rail, the DLR and the London Overground connecting Lewisham with the rest of London and the south east as well as the rail and tube network. London Bridge, Canary Wharf, the City, London City Airport and the international rail terminal at Stratford are all within easy reach.
Our Laurence House office is in Catford. The nearest train stations (Catford and Catford Bridge) are a five minute walk away and are on the South Eastern rail network. There are also many bus routes that stop outside or near Laurence House: 75,124,160, 171, 181, 185, 202, 284, 320 and 336.