Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Our policies for recruiting ex-offenders and disclosure of criminal records

Our approach to recruiting people with criminal records.

We welcome applications from a wide range of candidates, including those with criminal records.

DBS checks

We use the Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) to assess applicants' suitability for positions of trust, and comply fully with the DBS code of practice.

The DBS Code of Practice emphasises treating all applicants fairly and not unfairly discriminating against any person who is the subject of a Disclosure on the basis of conviction or other information revealed.

When we need a disclosure of criminal convictions

We only request a disclosure after a thorough risk assessment has indicated that it is both proportionate and relevant to the role.

Your recruitment pack will say if a disclosure is needed.

If the role requires a disclosure, successful applicants need to complete a DBS form and provide evidence of identity.

Work for us if you have criminal record

Having a criminal record will not necessarily bar you from working with us.

When we deciding if a candidate with a criminal record is suitable for appointment, we consider:

  • if the conviction, or other matters revealed, is relevant to the role

  • the seriousness of any offence, or other matters revealed

  • the length of time since the offence or other matters occurred

  • if you have a pattern of offending behaviour or other relevant matters

  • if your circumstances have changed since the offending behaviour or the other relevant matters

  • the circumstances surrounding the offence and your explanation.

We will discuss any matters revealed in your disclosure with you before withdrawing a conditional offer of employment.

We will not share information contained in disclosures with any other person or bodies, other than those we are allowed to share it with under the DBS code of practice.

Spent convictions

Legally, some convictions are considered 'spent', after a set period of time. If you have a conviction that is spent, then in many cases you do not have to tell your employer.

However, in some occupations, spent convictions rules do not apply. Often this is the case when your job involves working with children or vulnerable adults, or doing other sensitive work.

Non-UK nationals or UK nationals who have lived abroad for more than 12 months

If you are a non-UK national and have successfully applied for a job, you must provide:

  • a satisfactory DBS check (for any period of time spent in the UK)

  • original copies of a satisfactory police record or certificate of good standing (CGS), a certificate of good repute or equivalent from your county of origin, or any other country you have stayed in for any period over 12 months outside the UK.

If you are a UK national but have spent a significant amount of time living in a country outside the UK (usually 12 month), you must provide:

  • a satisfactory DBS check

  • original copies of a satisfactory police record or certificate of good standing (CGS), a certificate of good repute or equivalent from other countries lived in.

If you have been offered a job, you must provide these as part of the employment clearance process.