Tackling the housing crisis
Everyone has a decent home that is secure and affordable.
More social and genuinely affordable housing
- We will deliver 1,000 new social homes.
- We will build a new generation of homes for private rent, providing long-term tenancies of up to 10 years with rent controls.
More mixed communities through a variety of tenure type in private developments
- We will set a target of 50% genuinely affordable homes delivered through developer-led projects.
- We will build four more innovative housing developments for homeless families like the pop-up PLACE/Ladywell and the new Edward Street scheme, taking more families out of B&B accommodation.
- We will build more housing for adults with learning disabilities.
Improved standards across all housing sectors
- We will seek to deliver a full borough-wide landlord licence to crack down on rogue landlords.
- We will not sell strategic council land to private property developers.
Residents are supported to have a stronger voice
- We will support the launch of a Private Renters’ Union to give a voice to tenants living in the private rented sector.
- We will introduce ballots on any estate regeneration scheme that includes replacing existing homes.
- We will introduce a Residents’ Charter that guarantees all residents impacted by a regeneration scheme the right to remain on their estate, and guarantees an increase in genuinely affordable housing.
- We will publish viability assessments, so developers have to account to the public for their proposals around affordable homes.